Going on vacation should be a fun adventure for the entire family. The last thing you should worry about when you are away is the security of your home. Luckily, there are many easy ways to prevent burglaries while you are on vacation. In addition to following these 7 ways to help prevent burglaries while you are away, you should visit Security Essentials of Lexington to view all of our products for increased home security in Lexington, Kentucky and the surrounding areas.
Install motion detectors and camera systems –
- Try to not post on social media – While it is fun to post your vacation pictures or check-in to new locations on social media, it is not a good idea because it tells people that you are not home, making your home more susceptible to burglaries. It is best to avoid talking about your trip on social media before your trip and wait to post pictures until you return home.
- Ask neighbors to make it look like you are home – Little things, such as collecting the mail, newspapers or packages, can go a long way to make it look like you are home. Additionally, asking your neighbors, family or friends to check the house, mow the lawn, or take out the trash are all easy ways to give the illusion that you are home. You can ask your neighbor to park their car in your driveway, as well.
- Keep the home well lit – Indoor and outdoor light timers are an easy way to make your home visible at night. Keeping your curtains in their normal positions can also make the home look inhabited.
- Store valuables, computers, and jewelry out of sight – Do not leave your valuables in a location that can be easily seen through windows or doors. When valuables are stored in plain sight, it is an open invitation for a burglar to break in.
- Remove any spare outdoor keys – While it can be beneficial for you to have a spare key hidden outdoors, it is also easy for a burglar to use. It is best to remove all spare outdoor keys entirely. If you cannot completely remove them, then relocate them to a new location that is harder to find and reach.
- Invest in a modern home alarm system – It should be a no-brainer that a modern home alarm system can help prevent burglaries. In the event that someone does break into your home, home alarm systems sound an alarm that quickly notifies the police. If the alarm sound is not enough to scare the burglar away, the police should arrive at your home within minutes to ensure the area is secure. Security Essentials of Lexington offers many options for home security in Lexington.
Motion detectors and camera systems are great ways to help deter burglars from breaking into your home. In addition to sensing movement, the motion detectors can also tell when windows or doors are opened or broken. Camera systems readily connect to smart phones and tablets, so you can easily see if someone has entered your home. Sometimes, a well-placed camera is all you need to deter a burglary. Security Essentials of Lexington offers burglar alarms
and home security in Lexington, Kentucky.